Four more days of school, then seven weeks of glorious summer.
If I haven’t made myself annoyingly clear, I’m an anticipation junkie. Half the thrill for me is envisioning the future. Life moves so quickly. The real thing is over before you know it, but if you look forward to it first, it lasts longer.
At least, that’s what I tell myself.
So, in an effort to stretch out my summer before it even starts, here is what I’m looking forward to most:
1. Road trip to Olympia with my teacher lady friends! (Hello Portland, dirty bars, roller derby, beautiful coastline, our special version of Flat Stanley, and a raucous good time… Sometimes I wonder if people really know what elementary school teachers are like in their off hours… I didn’t!)
2. Kauai. Think the complete opposite of above road trip. Peace, quiet, sunshine, beach.
3. Mt. Shasta, CA. Time with my mom, sitting under the pines, swimming in the lake, snacks at the Goat Tavern, hot springs soaking in Ashland, OR.
4. WRITING. As much as I’m excited for all of the trips above, I might be even more excited for the time to write. I’m ready to do my final polishing of my book (AGAIN) and submit to 31 agents in 31 days in July. WOOT.
5. General summerness. Time with my dog, husband, family, friends. Impromptu road trips to Napa for yummy Ad Hoc lunch, San Francisco Giants games, the Pelican Inn and Muir Beach. Days spent floating in my dad’s pool, lazing about at teacher pool parties, thrifting, reading and sleeping.
See, now I’m excited, and summer hasn’t even officially started. Thank you anticipation, I don’t care what people say about the present, you’re pretty cool too.